Friday, August 1, 2008

the big blue

i don't know if i can talk about my time in the andaman islands without using a load of cliches. but here it goes... in havelock, the island, i found a safe haven in what has been my closest experience to staying in a tourist beach resort. bamboo huts on stilts, by the beach, with enclosed bathrooms with the sky for a roof. the complex' restaurant serving delicious meals was the setting for new friendships that were established soon after my arrival. and with these new companions, i went on first time adventures like snorckeling in coral reefs - it was the first time i saw the bottom of the ocean, a new world opening up to me! - and bicycle rides across the island, through narrow roads sided my rice fields from which children waved shouting their hellos as we went past.

i felt happy and truly on holiday. ah, finally, the good life...

No comments: